New England Pot Roast Recipe
This delicious and simple dish is cooked with a touch of horseradish. You are going to love this flavor as it becomes very subtle after the slow cooking process.
- 1 1/2 - 2 pound boneless beef chuck roast
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 8 medium potatoes, cut in quarters
- 2 cups baby-cut carrots
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 5-ounce jar of horseradish
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of pepper
- 1 cup of water
- This dish is best when the beef is browned for 10 minutes in a skillet. Just brown the beef in oil for 10 minutes until golden brown on all sides.
- Place potatoes, carrots, onions, in a 5 quart slow cooker and then put the roast on top. Evenly spread the horseradish, salt, and pepper across the top of the roast.
- Add water and for 8-10 hours until the meat and vegetables are tender.
There should be just enough room for another vegetable of choice. Peel four medium onions and add these whole with the potatoes and carrots. This may be the best onion you've ever tasted.